Paragard and Copper IUD Lawsuit | Phillips Law Group
The Paragard (T 380A) and Copper IUD has been linked to serious complications upon implantation and removal of the device. Phillips Law Group is actively investigating these kinds of claims from women who have experienced organ perforation, infection and scarring, among other injuries, and may be eligible to pursue compensation in a lawsuit to help cover medical bills, loss of income and other related damages.
A defective product lawyer at our firm is here to help. There is no cost to review your situation and discuss your potential legal options during an initial consultation. You are not obligated after this meeting to have us represent you. We have more than 27 years of experience recovering millions of dollars in compensation on our clients’ behalf. Founding partner Jeffrey Phillips has been a National Trial Lawyers Association ”“ Top 100 member every year since 2014.
Call 1-800-706-3000 or complete our Free Case Evaluation form.
How Do I Know If I Have a Case?
Each case is different. Our legal will not know if you have a viable case until we review certain factors unique to your situation during a complimentary case evaluation. To help determine your eligibility to file a Paragard and Copper IUD lawsuit, you may be asked to answer the following questions:
- Why you decided to use this device compared to other contraceptive devices?
- Was the device removed sooner than expected, possibly because of expulsion?
- Did you experience any issues while removing the device, such as breakage or device migration?
- Was hospitalization required to treat an infection or surgically fix or remove a perforated organ?
- How have your health complications impacted your work and personal life?
- Were you informed of the risks of the contraceptive device and what were you told?
Defective products cases can be complex and there is only so much time to take legal action. That is why it is in your best interest to have an experienced attorney by your side. It costs nothing to contact our firm to find out more about your rights and discuss a possible Paragard and Copper IUD lawsuit.
Compensation That May Be Available
The compensation that may be available to you will depend on your particular circumstances. Generally, victims of defective products working with a lawyer may be able to recoup the following:
- Medical bills ”“ Hospital stays, doctor visits, imaging tests, surgeries, physical therapy and medication to treat an infection may be covered as well as future medical treatment.
- Loss of income ”“ Lost wages and benefits from being unable to work while in recovery may be covered as well as any income you could have earned in the future had you not been injured.
- Pain and suffering ”“ This may include both physical and mental pain and suffering you have experienced since the device broke, migrated or perforated an organ after insertion.
- Loss of consortium ”“ If your personal relationships have been harmed as a result of this injury, you may be able to receive compensation for loss of companionship, affection and support.
Determining the value of these damages can be difficult without legal representation. Learn how much a Paragard and Copper IUD settlement could be worth in a free, no-obligation legal consultation.
What is the Paragard IUD?
Paragard is a copper intrauterine device (IUD) that is implanted inside the uterus to prevent pregnancy. It is a long-acting reversible form of birth control.
The small, T-shaped device is made of flexible plastic and wrapped in copper wire that must be inserted by a licensed medical professional. This IUD has been marketed as being over 99 percent effective at preventing pregnancies for up to a 10-year period.
Teva Pharmaceuticals was the first to manufacture Paragard prior to the company being acquired in 2017 for $1.1. billion by The Cooper Companies, Inc., a global medical device company.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initially approved the device in 1984 and it entered the U.S. market in 1988. Paragard remains to be the only available copper IUD in the nation. Unlike other IUDs such as Mirena, Kyleena, Liletta, and Skyla, this device is non-hormonal.
The device constantly releases a small amount of copper into the uterus. The copper then helps prevent sperm reaching the egg and fertilizing it. While the IUD is also removable, serious complications have since been reported by countless women and their medical providers.
Risks of Using the Paragard IUD
A number of injuries have been linked with using the Paragard IUD. Several common side effects upon insertion of the device include prolonged menstrual flow, pain and cramping, and menstrual spotting.
However, in the last 30 years, the FDA has received nearly 40,000 incident reports detailing adverse reactions to the Paragard IUD. These allegations include more than 15,700 serious health complications and the deaths of at least 15 women. The agency received 7,265 reports in 2019 alone.
Severe risks associated with this device include:
- IUD breakage upon removal
- IUD expulsion or falling out of the uterus
- Movement or migration of the device
- Scarring or perforation of the uterine wall
- Inflammation caused by copper left in the body
- IUD embedded inside the uterus
- Damage to the cervix or other organs
- Possible hysterectomy or organ removal
The use of copper in these IUDs has a greater chance of causing device expulsion versus other IUDs. According to a study conducted by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 10.2 percent of women inserted with a copper IUD like Paragard experienced expulsion or the device moving out of place or even falling out compared to 4.6 of women inserted with a hormonal IUD like Mirena.
The device is also known to cause pelvic inflammatory disease, an infection of the uterus and other reproductive organs, an intrauterine pregnancy, which can cause premature birth, an ectopic pregnancy, when a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, infertility, chronic pelvic pain and even death.
In some reported cases, the Paragard IUD failed before its intended lifespan was up, perforating the wall of the uterus during implantation and breaking into pieces and with the copper wire completely missing upon removal. Many women have required surgery to remove the device and additional corrective surgeries.
Paragard and Copper IUD Lawsuits Filed
Thousands of Paragard and Copper IUD lawsuits have been filed against former manufacturer Teva Pharmaceuticals and the current manufacturer Cooper Companies Inc. in federal court. Many lawsuits have since been consolidated into a multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Georgia.
These lawsuits make similar allegations, such as:
- Designing a dangerous and defective contraceptive device
- Misrepresenting the device as a safe and effective method of birth control, leaving women susceptible to injuries upon implantation and removal of the device
- Failing to warn women and their medical providers of the risks associated with the device
See if You Qualify to File a Paragard IUD Claim
The legal team at Phillips Law Group is currently reviewing potential Paragard and Copper IUD claims if you have suffered an injury caused by this faulty device. You may be eligible to pursue compensation for the financial, physical and emotional losses you and your loved ones have had to endure.
An initial consultation is 100 percent free and completely confidential. There is zero risk in calling our firm to learn more about your potential legal options and zero obligation to move forward. We are ready to take your call anytime, day or night, and charge no upfront fees for our services.
Give us a call at 1-800-706-3000 to get started.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️