Elmiron Vision Loss Lawsuit | Phillips Law Group
- Home /
- Elmiron Vision Loss Lawsuit | Phillips Law Group
Have you suffered blindness or other serious eye damage after taking the bladder medication Elmiron?
You may be eligible to seek compensation for damages, such as medical bills and pain and suffering. You should give serious thought to talking to an experienced Phoenix defective drug lawyer about your injuries and potential legal options. We may be able to file an Elmiron vision loss lawsuit.
Phillips Law Group has obtained more than $1 billion for injury victims over more than 28 years serving those in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. Our firm obtained approximately $23 million in a defective drug case.
Founding partner Jeff Phillips works closely with attorneys throughout the nation on cases involving defective drugs and products. He is also a member of The National Trial Lawyers Association ”“ Top 100.
At Phillips Law Group, there are no upfront fees for our services. There are also no fees while working on your case. The initial consultation is free, and you are not obligated to hire our firm.
Call today to learn more about how we may be able to help you. Phone: 1-800-706-3000 .
What are the Benefits of Hiring an Attorney to Represent Me?
While each case is unique, it is generally true that injury victims who hire an attorney recover more compensation compared to those who do not.
There are many reasons for this. For example, defective drug cases are often complex and require a detailed investigation to build a strong case. You are also going up against powerful corporations with deep pockets, and they are committed to avoiding responsibility and paying out the least possible amount of compensation.
You need an experienced attorney who is prepared for each step of the process because he or she has been there before. Phillips Law Group has been representing injury victims for nearly three decades in a variety of cases and has obtained millions on behalf of our clients.
At Phillips Law Group, there are no upfront fees, which means meeting with us risk-free.
Am I Eligible to File an Elmiron Vision Loss Lawsuit?
This is a question you should discuss with a licensed attorney, as the answer depends on many factors. When you meet with a lawyer from our firm, we can review your injuries and other details to determine if we may be able to help you.
There are many questions we may ask as we try to determine your eligibility for filing a compensation claim. These may include:
- How long were you taking Elmiron?
- Why did your doctor prescribe this medication? (You may be ineligible to file a claim if you were prescribed the drug for an off-label use.)
- What injuries have you suffered while taking this medication?
- Have you sought treatment for your injuries?
- Have you stopped taking the drug? If so, how long ago did you stop?
- Have your injuries/symptoms improved since you discontinued use of the medication?
- Did you stop using the medication at the direction of your doctor?
- How much does your impaired vision affect you each day?
- What treatments have you received?
We have limited time to pursue compensation on your behalf. Give us a call today to learn more about your potential legal options.
Phillips Law Group. Local. Licensed. Lawyers. Ph: 1-800-706-3000 .
How Much Compensation May be Available?
The answer to this question depends on numerous aspects, including the severity of the injuries you suffered, the cost of treatment prescribed by your doctor, pain and suffering, lost wages, and the effect of your injuries on your relationships with family members.
At Phillips Law Group, our goal is to recover maximum compensation for past and future damages related to your injuries. That includes the cost of treating your blindness or vision impairment with things like:
- Prescription medication
We know serious injuries, particularly those that can leave you disabled, can have a significant effect on many aspects of your life. For example, you may not be able to work at the same job, which can damage your earning capacity. Your relationships with your spouse and children could also be negatively affected since you may be unable to participate in activities you once enjoyed.
Background on Elmiron
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Elmiron (the generic name is pentosan polysulfate sodium) in 1996. However, it was not approved through the regular process. Instead, the drug was approved under the Orphan Drug Act, which gives special status to manufacturers of drugs designed to treat rare diseases.
Elmiron was approved for the treatment of interstitial cystitis, which is a bladder condition that results in an inflamed and irritated bladder. The condition is much more common in women than in men and is similar to having a severe bladder infection. The bladder can become scarred and stiff, resulting in severe pain in the bladder and pelvis and frequent urination. Elmiron also acts as a blood thinner to help prevent blood clots.
Hundreds of thousands of people take this medication, often on a long-term basis.
Injuries Linked to Elmiron
Unfortunately, this drug has been linked to severe side effects. The most notable side effect is maculopathy, which is characterized by visual impairment due to damage to the retina. Those with maculopathy could suffer the following symptoms:
- Blurry vision
- Dark spots in your vision
- Problems focusing
- Spots in your vision that are unclear
- Trouble reading
- Trouble seeing things that are close by
- Trouble adjusting eyes to dim or dark lighting
Retinal damage may worsen over time and this may continue even after victims stop taking the drug. The damage to your eyesight could be permanent.
Other side effects of this medication may include:
- Loss of hair
- Pain in the abdomen
- Gaining weight
- Abnormal functioning of the liver
- Bloody stool
- Bleeding gums
If you suffered severe symptoms while taking Elmiron, particularly if your doctor says these symptoms may worsen or not improve, give Phillips Law Group a call.
Schedule your free initial consultation. There is no risk to you. Call 1-800-706-3000 .
Research on the Dangers of This Medication
Studies have shown Elmiron is linked to a higher risk of damage to vision. Your attorney may use this research to help validate your case:
- Emory Eye Center Case Study ”“ Researchers studied six patients who took the generic of Elmiron and discovered continued exposure to this drug resulted in unique pigmentary maculopathy.
- Expanded Case Study by Emory Eye Center ”“ This expanded case study involved 10 people and the results were published in the Journal of Urology. Patients who had a history of interstitial cystitis and were not taking the generic of Elmiron did not develop the unique type of pigmented maculopathy common among those taking the drug.
- Kaiser Permanente Research ”“ The study revealed 22 of 91 patients who had taken approximately 5,000 tablets over 15 years had signs of toxicity. The percentage of toxicity in patients taking 1,500 grams or more was 42 percent.
- U.S. Medical Claims Database Study ”“ This study was published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology. Researchers studied data collected between 2002 and 2016. They determined the group of 1,604 patients who had been taking the drug for seven years had a significantly higher risk of developing macular disease.
- Study of 117 patients ”“ Three doctors reviewed data on 117 patients who took the drug ”“ 27 of them had signs of maculopathy. Users taking more than 1,500 grams were at the highest risk of having toxicity.
Despite this research, and the lawsuits that have been filed, Elmiron has not been pulled off the market. However, it has been put on the FDA’s Watch List and the FDA is evaluating whether it makes sense to act.
Lawsuits the Manufacturer is Facing
Dozens of Elmiron lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturer, Janssen Pharmaceuticals. However, many more lawsuits are likely to be filed because so many people have taken and are taking Elmiron. These lawsuits make a variety of allegations against the manufacturer:
- Choosing to ignore evidence about the dangers of Elmiron
- Failing to provide adequate warnings about the risk of retinal damage
- Marketing Elmiron as safe and effective, despite injuries suffered by consumers
- Failing to provide adequate notification to the public about the risk for suffering eye injury
- Failing to properly notify the public about the risk of eye injuries
- Ignoring evidence linking Elmiron to ocular toxicity and potentially permanent vision damage or loss
- Lack of adequate warnings for retinal damage, visual changes or other eye conditions listed on prescribing information for the drug
- Marketing and selling the bladder pain medication as safe and effective to use
Contact Us to Discuss Legal Options
When consumers take prescription medications, they trust drug manufacturers about the safety of these products. Unfortunately, drug manufacturers often betray that trust and put dangerous drugs out on the market. To make matters worse, they often try to avoid accountability for the damages their products have caused.
That is why victims should strongly consider meeting with an experienced attorney for a free consultation. Those who suffered eye injuries while taking Elmiron may be able to file an Elmiron vision loss lawsuit to pursue compensation for their damages.
Our firm has recovered hundreds of millions in compensation on behalf of our clients. Visit our client reviews page to see what our clients have to say about our services.
Phillips Law Group is prepared to help. Give us a call today to learn more. 1-800-706-3000
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️