Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
After a car accident, you have some significant decisions to make. One of the most important is whether or not to hire an attorney. This decision can very well affect your case’s outcome and the size of your settlement.
At Phillips Law Group, our attorneys believe in weighing all the facts. We are committed to providing accurate information for our current and potential clients. The information on this page will help you understand your legal option, but every car accident is different. We invite you to come speak with us for a free review of your case details.
For a free personalized consultation, click the “Live Chat” icon below or call us at (800) 706-3000.
What to Do at an Accident Scene
From the time of a collision onward, your choices could affect your eligibility for compensation. Would you like to know why the following steps are wise?
Seek medical attention
You should call 911 if you need emergency attention. Otherwise, go to a hospital or urgent care facility for an immediate evaluation.
First, your medical report will later support your claim. Also, internal injuries and bleeding are not always apparent to an untrained eye. The symptoms of other serious conditions, such as whiplash and hairline fractures, might show up hours or even days after the incident.
Report your accident to the authorities
In Arizona, the law requires police officers to make a written report of high-cost-incurring car accidents within 24 hours of the investigation. Later, our lawyers can use this valuable evidence to back up your version of the events.
Without a police report establishing the facts, the at-fault party might deny his or her role in the accident. Worse, they could even accuse you of wrongdoing.
Why take the chance? Inform the police of your car accident, wait for them to come to the scene, and let the officers file a report – sooner rather than later.
You don’t need to wait for the authorities to arrive to begin gathering evidence. A picture is truly worth a thousand words when it comes to legal matters.
Take photographs or videos of:
- The license plate of the car that hit you
- The driver’s license and insurance cards of other involved drivers
- Any damage to property related to the accident (e.g. cars, fences, buildings)
- The scene or intersection where the accident occurred
Next, record the contact information of eyewitnesses. You can also ask them to make a statement on video of what they saw.
Being in an accident is stressful. The ensuing chaos and high adrenaline make it easy to forget important details. You could even unwittingly say something that would later damage your case.
Our lawyers don’t want that to happen to you. Phillips Law Group’s phone lines are open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Call us (800) 706-3000 soon as possible, even from the accident scene, to get valuable legal advice.
How Lawyers Protect Your Interests
In most states, including Arizona, the person at-fault for an accident is responsible for paying for damages. His or her automobile insurance should cover at least $25,000 in relevant medical bills for the other car’s accident victims. The minimum mandatory policies also pay for up to $15,000 in property damage.
Unfortunately, several factors could affect your ability to get compensated fairly for your injuries.
Despite the threat of fines and license suspensions, not everyone abides by laws of the road. Some drivers drive without properly insuring their vehicles. If they get in an accident, it is unlikely they would have the financial means to cover accident expenses.
Some people could be uninsured motorists without realizing it. For example, if they forget a payment or their insurer drops them, they might realize too late that they are driving unprotected.
Underinsured motorists carry insurance, but their coverage amounts don’t meet the actual costs. For instance, a spinal fusion is a complex surgery used to repair spinal fractures and reduce chronic pain. The average price of this procedure averages $48,331 in Phoenix, AZ.
What if the at-fault motorist carries the minimum state coverage? Their policy would pay no more than $25,000 toward your medical bill. You would be left short over $23,000 plus any additional fees you accrue during your recovery.
Leaving the scene of the accident is a crime in Arizona. Yet, drivers fled some 13,512 Arizona crashes in 2020.
Even if the liable driver has sufficient coverage and admits fault, you could find it surprisingly challenging to get the money you deserve. Some roadblocks to prompt and just settlements are:
- Missing or inaccurate paperwork: Insurers want documentation proving your right to claim. These confusing documents could demand information that accident victims don’t know how to obtain. You need to ensure your application is not missing any required elements and that you haven’t made any mistakes in wording.
- Lack of coverage denials: Insurers might claim that what you are asking for is not covered. For example, you might require reconstructive surgery for a disfiguring injury. The insurance company might argue that this surgery is cosmetic and, thus, unnecessary.
- Late applications: Insurance companies impose deadlines for claims. However, decoding the paperwork and gathering materials takes time. An experienced lawyer can help you meet timelines and get the documents you need as quickly as possible.
- Bad faith: To maximize profits, some insurers might underpay claims, hoping you will accept a settlement without consulting legal professionals. Yet, some unethical companies will reject claims for no good reason or ignore supporting evidence. Lawyers can take action against these unfair (“bad faith”) practices.
Are insurance companies delaying your payout or offering you less than your claim is worth? Never assume that a claim offer is the maximum you can receive. Phillips Law Group can ensure that you know what you rightfully deserve.
Attorneys Seek Maximum Compensation
When you hire us, our hard-working attorneys will pursue significant compensation for qualifying losses:
- Medical expenses: Lawyers can often recover funds to cover medical costs beyond hospital and doctor fees. They can also help you get reimbursement for therapy, adaptive equipment, and transportation to and from appointments.
- Lost wages: Your lost wage compensation depends on your salary and the nature of your injury. Our attorneys consider the future of you and your family when calculating these damages. If your injury limits your ability to earn the same as before, we want you to be fairly compensated.
- Property damage: While your car or property is being repaired, you might need alternative transportation. Many insurers provide rental cars as part of their policies. A lawyer can help you read the fine print to ensure you get all of your perks.
In the past 26 years, our law firm has recovered hundreds of millions in compensation for our clients. Would you like to learn more about our high-quality services?
Contact Phillips Law Group Without Delay
If no one was hurt in your accident and the damage was minor, you might consider taking your chances without a lawyer. However, if you are recovering from severe injuries, you should consider trusting your case with us.
Our trusted attorneys can handle all of the hassles while you focus on getting better, but your time to act is limited. State mandates require car accident victims to file claims within a specific time window. If you wait too long, you will miss out on compensation for your injuries.
Let’s talk about your options. To access your free consultation, click “Start Chat” on the side of your screen. Our live agents are ready to help.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️