Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If you are a motorcycle rider, this question would naturally be important to you, since motorcycle riders in general have an increased risk of being involved in an accident. This is not always the fault of the rider. Time and time again, it has been found that the cause of a motorcycle accident was a negligent automobile driver.
Additionally, unlike car passengers who have the protection of being in an encased vehicle, a motorcycle rider is openly exposed. This fact almost always results in motorcycle riders suffering injuries when an accident occurs. In fact, according to one source, motorcycle riders suffer injuries 96 percent of the time in single-vehicle accidents and 98 percent of the time in collisions with multiple vehicles.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you might find that pursuing fair compensation for damages on your own can be challenging. The lawyers at Phillips Law Group, though, have the experience and the resources needed to make sure that you are fully compensated for damages. Our team of lawyers has successfully recovered hundreds of millions in compensation for victims. Call us today at (800) 706-3000 for a free consultation.
Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Although you may practice safety precautions while riding, such as wearing appropriate safety gear, obeying the speed limit, and avoiding lane-splitting, it is a simple fact that you cannot control the actions of other drivers on the road. While it is true that a motorcyclist’s negligence can result in a collision, far too often, the cause of many motorcycle accidents has been a negligent automobile driver.
Some examples of driver negligence include the following:
- Distracted driving: There are various forms of distracted driving, such as texting and talking on the phone, eating and drinking, or engaging with passengers. Once the attention of a driver is directed away from the road, an accident involving a motorcycle may result.
- Driving while intoxicated: When a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, his or her judgment is impaired and reflexes are slower. This results in weaving in and out of lanes or driving on the wrong side of the road, which can result in a motorcyclist being struck.
- Fatigued driving: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that in just the past 30 days, on average, 1 out of every 25 drivers has fallen asleep at the wheel. Driver fatigue can be due to several factors such as a sleep disorder, the influence of medications, or just simply a lack of sufficient rest.
- Reckless driving: Types of reckless driving include speeding, failing to yield, and running red lights and stop signs, just to name a few. When automobile drivers engage in reckless driving, not only does a collision usually result, but if the accident involves a motorcycle, the injuries to the rider tend to be catastrophic.
- Left-hand turns: One of the most potentially dangerous hazards to a motorcyclist on the road is an automobile making a left-handed turn. Most drivers are expecting to see another automobile when making a left-hand turn, not a smaller motorcycle. The result can be the car striking the motorcyclist while he or she is passing through an intersection or just attempting to pass the car.
Of course, there are several other causes of motorcycle accidents, such as poorly maintained roads, inclement weather, and mechanical problems. Even though your motorcycle was struck by another vehicle, there may be other potentially liable parties from which compensation can be sought. This is why a knowledgeable lawyer’s assistance is vital if you wish to receive full compensation for damages.
How the Assistance of a Lawyer Can Help Your Claim
Although motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles on the road, a motorcyclist still has the same legal rights as the other drivers. As such, if you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you have the right to pursue fair compensation from all responsible parties. However, pursuing compensation is not always a straightforward process for several reasons.
First, an at-fault party may deny responsibility, which could weaken a motorcycle accident claim due to a bias that people sometimes have that motorcyclists are more reckless than auto drivers. Even if the at-fault party accepts responsibility for the accident, this same bias can be used by insurance adjusters in an effort to decrease the value of a settlement.
Further, as was mentioned, there may be other potential third parties who share a measure of responsibility for damages suffered. For example, if cracks or potholes in the road contributed to the motorcycle accident, a municipality or government may be found liable. Or, if it is discovered that a faulty motorcycle part was the cause, then the manufacturer could be liable. Identifying all potentially liable parties requires extensive investigative work.
These are just some of the reasons why it would be absolutely crucial to have the assistance of a team of knowledgeable lawyers, like at Phillips Law Group, helping you with your motorcycle accident claim every step of the way. Additionally, if you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, your lawyer would file a wrongful death lawsuit for the family to receive a measure of compensation for the loss.
Types of Compensation You May Be Entitled to Receive
If you or your loved one has been the victim of a motorcycle accident, you should not have to pay for the negligence of the responsible party. Our lawyers will make sure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to receive, even if a lawsuit must be filed for losses beyond what an insurance policy would cover.
Compensation for loss and damages may include:
- Present and future lost income
- Present and future medical expenses
- Household renovation for disability
- Motorcycle damage
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Compensation for wrongful death
Get Your Claim Off to a Good Start Today!
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, you may be feeling overwhelmed at the change in circumstances in your life. As if the physical pain were not enough, you may be confronted with mounting medical bills and an inability to return to work. You should not have to deal with trying to pursue compensation for damages while also trying to focus on healing.
Do not make the mistake of speaking with an insurance company before speaking with an attorney. Insurance adjusters are highly trained in using skillful tactics in an effort to get you to quickly accept a lesser settlement than what your claim is worth.
The law firm that you choose to represent you will have a direct impact on the final amount of your settlement. Let the knowledgeable personal injury lawyers of Phillips Law Group, who have years of experience handling motorcycle accident claims, protect your legal rights and get you a fair sum.
Our attorneys know the tactics that insurance adjusters use and know how to respond. We have helped more than 155,000 clients in over 25 years.
Your claim will be in good hands with us. Call (800) 706-3000 for a free consultation today!
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️