Arizona Officials Get 1,600 Reports of Wrong-Way Driving

warning signThere have been more than 1,600 incidents of drivers traveling in the wrong lane reported to Arizona law enforcement officials in 2016, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety (ADPS).

Of the 1,600 reported incidents of wrong-way driving, there were 27 accidents that resulted in severe injuries or death. Arizona law enforcement officials also arrested 100 individuals on suspicion of driving while impaired.

Only a small number of incidents involving wrong-way driving resulted in an accident. The majority of drivers correct themselves once they understand what they have done or exit the highway, according to the ADPS.

The rise in wrong-way driving has concerned Arizona state officials. In 2014, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) began to increase efforts to end wrong-way driving by adding signs and safety devices, such as electronic sensors, warning drivers and law enforcement departments that a vehicle was traveling in the wrong lane.

In addition to highways, wrong way driving can happen on one-way streets. This type of auto accident is on the rise in Arizona, resulting in life-altering injuries that impact victims financially, emotionally and physically.

An Arizona Department of Public safety trooper recently stopped a driver on Dec. 16 from causing an accident as the vehicle traveled the wrong way on Loop 101. The trooper, who was on a motorcycle, followed the driver for 10 miles until he was able to successfully pull the vehicle off the road. The driver was suspected of being impaired and arrested on charges of aggravated DUI and endangerment.

If you or someone you love has been in an accident involving a wrong-way driver, contact the Phoenix car accident attorneys at the Phillips Law Group. We will provide you with a free consultation to review your claim and determine if you have grounds to file a lawsuit and receive compensation. We do not charge legal fees unless you receive a favorable outcome.

Call 602-222-2222 or fill out a Free Case Evaluationform to get started.