Occupational Disease | Arizona Workers’ Compensation Claim
- Home / Workers' Compensation /
- Occupational Disease | Arizona Workers’ Compensation Claim
December 12, 2017
Hazards in the workplace can lead to the development of occupational diseases that impact a person’s everyday life and ability to work.
If an employee develops an injury or disease because of conditions found in his or her work environment, the employee may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
If you believe you developed an occupational disease or illness and were denied the benefits you deserve, do not hesitate to contact the seasoned Phoenix workers’ compensation attorneys of Phillips Law Group. We will work to help support your workers’ compensation claim by proving the disease or illness you suffered was work-related.
We will provide you with a free, no obligation consultation to review the circumstances behind your disease and determine if you are owed compensation for your medical expenses and lost wages.
Common Occupational Diseases
Occupational diseases are illnesses and medical conditions that develop due to a worker’s exposure to hazards, substances or dangerous job activities. The following are common occupational diseases:
- Skin diseases or conditions caused by exposure to harmful substances or chemicals
- Hearing loss caused by exposure to loud equipment
- Respiratory conditions caused by chemical vapors, gases or dust in the workplace
- Poisoning due to ingestion or absorption of toxins
- Heatstroke, heat exhaustion or frostbite
- Musculoskeletal disorders caused by repetitive movements, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Eye strain caused by long-term computer use
- Infectious diseases caused by exposure to viruses, germs or bacteria
- Fertility problems and birth defects caused by chemical exposure
Requirements for Workers’ Compensation
Occupational diseases must meet certain criteria to qualify for workers’ compensation. According to AZ 23-901.01, an illness or medical condition is considered an occupational disease only if it meets all of the following six requirements:
- There is a direct relationship between the conditions under which the worker is subjected and the occupational disease.
- The disease can be seen as being naturally caused by the work as a result of the exposure the employee is subjected to.
- The proximate cause of the disease can be traced back to the worker’s employment.
- The disease is not related to a hazard the worker would have been exposed to outside his or her work.
- The disease is a consequence of the nature of the business and not independent of the relation between the employer and employee.
- The origin of the disease is a risk regularly connected to the worker’s job-related duties.
Special Rules for Firefighters and Peace Officers
Exposure to hazardous conditions is a known risk for firefighters and peace officers. Because of this exposure, it is often easier to connect a disease or medical condition to the course of an emergency responder’s employment.
Under Arizona’s workers’ compensation laws, any disease or impairment of a firefighter’s or peace officer’s health that is caused by cancer in the following areas is presumed to be job-related:
- Colon and rectum
- Buccal cavity and pharynx
- Large intestine
Additionally, weakness or impairment of a firefighter’s or peace officer’s health that is caused by the following conditions is presumed to be an occupational disease:
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Malignant melanoma
- Testicular cancer
The presumption that these conditions resulted from occupational conditions applies as long as the following requirements are met:
- The worker must have undergone a physical exam prior to employment that did not show the cancer, disease or medical condition.
- The worker must have performed hazardous duties for at least five years.
- The worker was exposed to known carcinogens.
- The department for which the employee worked was informed he or she was exposed to known carcinogens while on duty.
However, firefighters’ or peace officers’ actions outside of their work duties may affect their ability to collect workers’ compensation for an occupational disease.
For example, if a firefighter is diagnosed with a form of respiratory cancer, and it is found he or she regularly smoked cigarettes or tobacco products, it may affect the firefighter’s workers’ compensation claim.
Contact Our Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Now
If you suffered an occupational disease and were denied the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve, do not hesitate to contact a skilled attorney for help with your claim.
The Phoenix workers’ compensation lawyers at Phillips Law Group fight to secure the benefits you deserve for your occupational disease. We will gather evidence to support your claim and guide you through the workers’ compensation claims process.
Find out the legal options available and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our firm today. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you only have to pay legal fees if we help you recover compensation for your workers’ compensation claim.
Call 1-800-706-3000 to schedule a free consultation.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Phillips law group is the best around!
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
Phillips Law Group does so much for the community!!! I especially enjoy seeing Juan Roque out there. This gentle giant always has a smile on his face and is a part of a caring and giving team.
Great company and awesome service. Thanks Caroline fabos. Kudos to all.
I didn’t know anything about the area, and Phillips Law Group just took care of everything. They helped made sure I knew where I was going, made sure I didn’t have to worry. They literally just took care of me.
I want to thank attorneys Tim and Robert and the paralegal Bethany for all they had done on my case. They were all empathetic, knowledgeable and professional. All my questions were answered, emails returned in a timely matter, and promises fulfilled. I recommend Phillips Law Group if you need help with your injury case.
They knew exactly how to explain the case to me in a way that I would understand it. They gave me hope that my life wasn’t over.
Definitely recommend! Awesome
Great experience! Took care of pretty much everything, and I always felt like I want in good hands. Caroline Fa. was also a great help with everything. She always returned my calls and I never felt unheard. Even after my case she would still help me with my insurance documents.
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!