Road Debris Caused 500 Deaths Between 2011 and 2014
- Home / Auto Accidents /
- Road Debris Caused 500 Deaths Between 2011 and 2014
August 29, 2016
More than 200,000 car accidents that occurred between 2011 and 2014 involved road debris, and these accidents caused 500 deaths and 39,000 injuries, according to a new study from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
These types of car crashes have increased by 40 percent since the foundation began studying these incidents in 2001.
Researchers also found that:
- There is a much greater likelihood for road debris crashes on interstate highways because vehicles are traveling at high speeds.
- More than one third of road debris crashes happen between 10:00 a.m. and 3:59 p.m. when heavy items and construction equipment are being hauled.
- Approximately 37 percent of deaths from road debris crashes happen when drivers swerve to avoid debris. This increases the risk for drivers to lose control of their car and hit other vehicles or go off the road.
- Approximately two thirds of road debris accidents are caused by unsecured loads that fall off vehicles.
- The most common types of road debris are tires, wheels, tow trailers, furniture and appliances.
Preventing Road Debris Crashes
The AAA study says that drivers can decrease the likelihood of a road debris crash by:
- Having their vehicles inspected by a mechanic regularly. That way you can avoid driving with old or underinflated tires that are more likely to suffer blowouts and leave pieces of rubber on the road. A mechanic can also look over exhaust systems and other hardware that is attached to the outside of the vehicle. Corroded hardware can drag on the road and eventually fall off.
- Make sure all items you are towing are secured. Drivers should use netting or rope to tie objects directly to the vehicle and always double check to be sure the load is secure.
- Driving defensively. Drivers should not tailgate and should leave an appropriate amount of space between their car and others on the road.
Drivers injured in road debris crashes may be able to obtain compensation from the negligent driver who caused the accident. Contact the accident lawyers at Phillips Law Group to find out your legal rights and see if you are entitled compensation.
Call 1-800-706-3000 for your free, no obligation consultation.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
Phillips Law Group is a company that has taught me so many things. Here your work, your dedication, effort and discipline are valued, in addition to the fact that, as a woman, as an immigrant and as a human being, I have been given value and empowerment. We are a successful law firm because all workers feel part of a great family. I am very proud and honored to work at Phillips Law Group.
I tried a few previous law firms and none would take my car accident case with confidence they could get my anything. Phillips law group took my case and although it took around 4 years to get this case settled as I was in treatment, they never let up with insurance adjusters and they got me as much money as possible. They worked hard for me and advocated for me. Shoutout to key individuals who worked my case nonstop of the years, Robert Ross & Jasmine, you are AMAZING!
Liz was great
Phillips law group has an amazing staff and i recommend them to everyone.
Definitely recommend! Awesome
I just wanted to thank Phillips law Group and Vanessa Rodriguez for all the help that she did for my daughter’s case. She was involved in her first accident and she needed the help to deal with these adjusters. Thank you again.
My paralegal , Caroline , was on top of her game - very responsive and always answered any questions I had and in a timely manner . My attorney Rob ,was the best attorney I ever had . He explained everything in great detail and had a great sense or humor . He really knows how to bring light To tough , unfortunate situations - I would absolutely recommend them at anyone -
Great experience! Took care of pretty much everything, and I always felt like I want in good hands. Caroline Fa. was also a great help with everything. She always returned my calls and I never felt unheard. Even after my case she would still help me with my insurance documents.
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.