Dangers Caused by Speeding
November 21, 2017
In today’s busy world, drivers may feel tempted to go a little faster while driving to try to fit everything into a day. However, speeding increases the risk of causing an accident that may result in serious injuries.
The seasoned Phoenix car accident attorneys at the Phillips Law Group are dedicated to helping motorists and passengers stay safe while traveling on the roadway. We have prepared this guide to explain the dangers of speeding. If you were injured in an accident by a speeding motorist, we can discuss your legal options and the possibility of pursuing a claim to compensate you for your injuries.
In 2014, approximately 336,742 people were injured in accidents caused by speeding, according to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). More than 40 percent of these accident victims were occupants in other vehicles, pedestrians or cyclists.
In 2015, more than 9,500 speed-related fatalities were recorded in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Likewise, 363,606 individuals have been killed in speed-related auto accidents within the last 10 years, making speeding responsible for more than one-third of traffic-related fatalities.
In fact, the NTSB estimates that speeding has resulted in about as many deaths as drunk driving.
Hidden Dangers of Speeding
Unfortunately, many people underestimate the danger of speeding. Traveling faster than the posted speed limit or failing to reduce speed in construction or school zones can significantly affect a driver’s ability to control his or her vehicle and reduce his or her reaction time.
Additionally, speeding can become more dangerous when a motorist fails to account for hazardous weather or poor road conditions.
Speeding puts each person sharing the roadway at risk by:
- Increasing the driver’s risk of losing control of the vehicle
- Reducing the amount of time a driver has to react to the environment or traffic conditions
- Reducing the effectiveness of the vehicle’s ability to protect its occupants
- Increasing the distance the driver needs to safely stop a vehicle
- Increasing the likelihood of serious injury in an auto accident
- Increasing the likelihood that the accident will result in death
Why Do Drivers Speed?
There are several reasons that drivers travel faster than the posted speed limit, such as:
- Running Late ”“ Drivers may speed because they fear being late for work, school, appointments or other engagements.
- Age ”“ Drivers and passengers age 29 and younger are more likely to be involved in a speed-related accident.
- Thrill ”“ Some drivers like to drive fast for the thrill of it while neglecting to consider the potential dangers that could occur.
- Distracted Driving ”“ Drivers who are texting and driving, or engaging in other distracted activities may be unaware of the speed they are traveling.
- Drunk Driving ”“ When people drink and drive, their judgment is often impaired and they may engage in riskier behaviors. Their senses may also be impaired to a point that they are not aware of the speed they are traveling.
- Traffic ”“ When drivers run into traffic, they may try to speed to make up the time lost.
Drivers have an obligation to operate a vehicle in a reasonable manner that ensures the safety and well-being of everyone sharing the roadway. This includes traveling at a safe and responsible speed.
Contact a Lawyer Today
Speeding is a choice. If you were injured in a speed-related accident, you may have the right to pursue compensation for the injuries you suffered.
The compassionate Phoenix auto accident lawyers at the Phillips Law Group will provide you with a free, no obligation consultation to review your claim and the circumstances behind your crash. If we determine that you have a strong case against the at-fault party, we will aggressively pursue compensation for the other driver’s recklessness on your behalf.
Our experienced Phoenix personal injury attorneys are knowledgeable about the causes of motor vehicle collisions and will work to gather evidence to support your case. If you decide to move forward with your claim, you only have to pay us if we recover compensation for you.
Call 1-800-706-3000 to schedule a confidential and complimentary consultation.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️