Construction Workers’ Rights in the Workplace
- Home / Workers' Compensation /
- Construction Workers’ Rights in the Workplace
January 26, 2017
Construction workers are constantly exposed to dangerous work environments that requires constant monitoring and strong safety regulations to prevent injuries caused by workplace accidents.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) extends rights and responsibilities to construction workers, and imposes safety and health obligations upon employers in the construction industry. Employer must follow these rules and regulations to ensure the safety of construction workers.
Construction Worker Rights
OSHA provides employees with rights and responsibilities in the workplace that protect their safety:
- Employees have the right to view an employer’s workplace requirements, rules, standards and regulations.
- Employees may access medical and exposure records.
- Employees may review records pertaining to workplace illnesses and/or injuries.
- Employees may receive results of workplace hazard testing.
- If an employee believes his or her employer is in violation of OSHA regulations, he or she may request an OSHA inspection of the workplace for standards violations and hazardous conditions.
- When requested through a signed written complaint, the employee’s name can be withheld from the employer.
- The employee has the right to protection against discrimination and retaliation for filing an OSHA complaint.
Construction Employer Obligations
Under OSHA regulations, employers have the duty to:
- Provide a hazard free work environment.
- Provide safe tools and equipment, and monitor employees for their proper use of tools and equipment.
- Keep employees informed of OSHA standards applicable to their workplace.
- Make available in the workplace OSHA rights and responsibilities which apply to the workplace and workers.
- Develop a hazard communication policy, including policies for container labeling, employee training and material safety data.
- Provide training in all languages spoken by employees.
- Inform workers throughout their time of employment where they can access medical and exposure records.
The OSHA Inspection Process
An employee has the right to file a written complaint to OSHA if hazards are not remedied in a reasonable time by an employer.
OSHA reserves the right to perform an inspection, upon reasonable grounds, of a workplace that shows evidence of violations or dangerous hazards.
An agent representing the worker may join the OSHA inspector. This agent will be selected by the union, if applicable, or employees. The employer is not allowed to participate in the selection of the accompanying agent.
The OSHA representative may perform a thorough inspection of the workplace, or conduct a partial inspection of concerning areas.
Upon completion, the OSHA representative will discuss his or her findings with the employer and employee’s agent, detailing the necessary corrections of any observed hazards.
Assistance for Construction Accident Injuries
Should an employee become injured on the job, the following should be done to protect the construction workers’ legal rights:
- Seek immediate medical attention to treat the injury.
- Inform the employer and site manager of the incident. Record the name of the person who was notified and his or her position.
- Collect the names and contact information of those who witnessed the incident.
- Take pictures of the scene of the injury and the injuries sustained to document the injury and the conditions that caused the accident. Keep any tools or equipment involved in the incident as evidence.
If you are a construction worker whose rights have been violated, contact the Phoenix construction accident lawyers at the Phillips Law Group.
We work to protect employees who are subjected to dangerous working environment or have been discriminated against by an employer. Our initial consultation is always free, and we provide our services without charging you anything unless we you receive compensation.
Call 1-800-706-3000 if you have questions about workers’ rights.
Free Case Evaluation
Your message has been sent
Thank you for your message, we will get back to you soon.
I was recently served court documents that I was being sued from an accident that happened years ago. For someone who has never been through something like this and not familiar with the court lingo or where to even begin, it was very frustrating and stressful. I reached out to a family member who knew Tracy Laskos and the great reputation of Phillips Law Group and within the hours of the initial call for help, I had a direct number to Lead Attorney Nassar. Nassar heard my case and almost instantly put me at ease by explaining the process and how easy it was to handle. Nassar spoke to me like he was a friend, not like I was a client. I am so grateful to Tracy, Nasar and of course my cousin Stephanie for helping out and giving me the direction that I needed to get through this situation. I plan on referring my friends, family and patients that are in need of a personal injury Attorney to Phillips Law Group. Thank you!!
Sophia H. at Phillips Law Group has been an absolute joy to work with -quick, responsive, and professional in every interaction. Her breadth of knowledge, from administration to IT to finance, is nothing short of impressive.
Phillips law group is the best around!
Phillips law group is a great firm! Caroline is great.
Although my accident was fortunately not a major one, The Phillips Law Group AZ treated it as such. Their staff, specifically Mr Juan Roque was very professional, courteous and most importantly very informative. Mr Roque's attentive service was phenomenal and I highly recommend this firm!
Phillips Law Group has a proven track record of success. Juan Roque, in particular, is integral to that. He works with integrity, compassion, and an undefeated optimism that makes him a valuable asset.
The lawyers here are of top quality. Especially Trey Dayes, who was always respectful and hard-working.
Two family members were in a bad wreck a couple of years ago, and as a result called Phillips Law to represent them. Montana Thompson was the attorney assigned to the case with the help of Nemo Farr as legal assistant. Mr. Thompson litigated a very generous settlement for both my stepdaughter and her son. Because my grandson is a minor, I decided to act as conservator for him to ensure the settlement was safe and secure. Montana helped with that process, but it was Nemo who went way above and beyond the call in finding a financial institution to use for the restricted account. There were some glitches in that process but Nemo helped navigate them with a calm expertise which belies his age. I would consider them both great representatives of the level of commitment to their clients and assets to their firm.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
I’ve been working at Phillips Law Group for nearly four years and I can confidently say this is the best personal injury firm in Arizona to work for. The firm is the best for numerous reasons but to start, Phillips Law Group gives employees opportunities for promotions and growth. I started working within the settlement department, moved to a paralegal assistant and grew to be a pre-litigation paralegal with my own case load. Each attorney I have worked for is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to. Secondly, I love how Phillips Law shows appreciation for employees. They host Friday Zoom Huddles giving out PTO, goodie bags, special shout outs, bonuses and gift cards. They also host extravagant holiday parties and fun contests during the Holidays! Lastly, the firm cares about giving back to the community, which is a trait I value as well. It’s rewarding to see a fast paced firm taking time out of their busy day to pay it forward. I would highly recommend working at Phillips Law Group!