Tips to Help Prevent a Blind Spot Motorcycle Accident
February 25, 2019
Blind spots are particularly dangerous for motorcyclists because their bikes are much smaller than passenger cars and are more difficult to see. When a motorist is unable to see a motorcyclist in his or her blind spot, a collision can occur, which can cause potentially life-threatening injuries to the rider.
Our experienced Phoenix motorcycle accident lawyers at Phillips Law Group want you to be safe on the road and avoid blind spot motorcycle accidents. We have prepared the following safety tips to help you stay prepared and avoid these types of collisions. If you have been injured in a blind spot motorcycle accident, we are ready to help you with a legal claim against the negligent party.
How to Identify Blind Spots
Blind spots are those areas around a vehicle where the driver or rider cannot directly see. All vehicles have blind spots, including motorcycles. Blind spots are even bigger for larger vehicles. A driver who tries to turn or change lanes directly into the path of a motorcyclist may lead to a serious accident.
Common areas for blind spots include:
- The area between what you see when looking forward and what is in your rearview mirror
- The area that is hidden from view because of your vehicle’s bodywork when looking in your mirrors
Different vehicles may have different blind spots based on their design, such as blind spots caused by window pillars or head restraints.
Reducing the Risk of a Blind Spot Motorcycle Accidents
Motorists and motorcyclists can help reduce the risk of a blind spot accident by following a few important safety measures.
Tips for Motorists
Drivers must exercise a high-level of care to prevent blind spot accidents. This includes:
- Properly adjusting your rearview mirror so the rear window is totally framed and adjusting the sideview mirrors so that they point toward the blind spot
- Looking over your shoulder before changing lanes or merging with traffic
- Using your blinker so that other motorists can anticipate your actions
- Staying alert and aware of other motorists and motorcyclists that travel in your blind spot
Tips for Motorcyclists
Although all drivers have the requirement to be cautious, riders must take extra steps to ensure their own safety. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, the likelihood is that his or her injuries will be more serious. Some ways that motorcyclists can reduce the likelihood of being involved in a blind spot accident include:
- Avoid riding in blind spots ”“ This is the best way to avoid a blind spot accident. Ride in front or behind a vehicle, rather than to the side of the vehicle. A motorists’ blind spots include to the left and right rear of a vehicle. Try to stay out of these locations as much as possible.
- Drive defensively ”“ Constantly scan the area in front of you, back off to give yourself some extra space and try to anticipate the actions of other motorists.
- Back off ”“ Leave at least 20 feet between you and other motorists so that you have time to react.
- Wear brightly colored clothing ”“ Make yourself more visible by wearing brightly colored or fluorescent clothing.
- Keep headlights on ”“ Improve visibility by using your headlights, even when it is daytime and sunny.
- Pass a vehicle quickly ”“ If you have to pass, do so quickly so that you are in a blind spot for as little time as possible.
Contact a Reputable Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Even if you ride safely and employ the best safety practices on the road, other motorists may negligently cause a motorcycle crash. If you are injured in a blind spot-related accident, contact a reputable motorcycle accident attorney at Phillips Law Group for legal representation.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We can explain your rights and your legal options for recovery. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so you are charged nothing unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️