When Do I Need A Civil Rights Lawyer?
Our nation’s civil rights laws are designed to protect a citizen’s freedom and dignity. For example, they safeguard against discrimination because of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Have your civil rights been violated? If you have experienced this injustice or are continuing to suffer from the actions of another person who is violating your civil rights, you can get help. US law makes it possible for you to take action and protect your civil rights. Additionally, you can receive compensation for the injustices done to you.
If you have been discriminated against, our attorneys can help you receive the protection and justice that US civil rights laws provide. Phillips Law Group is ready and equipped to help victims of civil rights violations. You can call us at (602) 222-2222 or fill out our online form to speak with one of our attorneys.
What Can Civil Rights Laws Do for You?
Acts of injustice, inequality, and abuse of power have been rampant throughout human history. It was the determination of the founding fathers of the United States to eliminate such corruption and exploitation of its citizens.
The American Constitution, its Amendments, and the Bill of Rights are the legal documents that identify the fundamental civil liberties the founding fathers wanted US citizens to possess. In our modern speech, the term “civil liberties” can often be replaced with civil rights.
Both the original, fundamental legal documents and the numerous laws enacted since the formation of the US government are intended to protect citizens’ rights.
In modern history, two particularly important civil rights laws were enacted. They are the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Under these laws, Americans are protected from discrimination because of their race, sex, religion, or nationality, and individuals with physical or mental disabilities cannot lawfully be discriminated against in the workplace.
If you have been treated unfairly or experienced discrimination, you should speak with a civil rights lawyer. The US government takes the matter of fair treatment for its citizens seriously, which means that you can receive justice for the unfair treatment you have experienced.
In What Situations Should You Call a Civil Rights Lawyer?
It is not possible to describe and identify every example of a civil rights violation. Yet, here are some examples that show clear violations of another person’s rights:
- Experiencing sexual harassment by a manager or supervisor
- Being fired or not hired for reasons that are unrelated to job performance or qualifications
- Being the object of unnecessary violence by law enforcement Being rejected or thrown out as a tenant because of religious beliefs
- Being prevented from having a service animal in the workplace
- Receiving retaliation for reporting discrimination
- Being the target of vandalism motivated by racism
If you have experienced one of the above injustices or something similar, you should call a civil rights lawyer right away.
What Unjust Actions Necessitate Calling a Civil Rights Lawyer?
Many unfair actions can be civil rights violations. The following is a list of common actions that may require the assistance of a civil rights lawyer:
- Police brutality, excessive force, or unnecessary violence
- Unlawful arrest
- False arrest
- Detention by police with no legal justification
- Racial profiling by employers, stores, law enforcement
- Obstruction of justice
- Police misconduct
- Discrimination in a person’s place of employment
- Termination of one’s employment because of age
- Discrimination by a possible employer during the process of hiring
- Harassment by employer or coworker
- Verbal threats
- Written threats
- Sexual harassment
- Sexual abuse
- Discrimination by an employer because of race, color, gender, sexual preferences, or disability
- Hate crimes
- Housing discrimination due to the tenant’s race, national origin, gender, and disability
If you have experienced a situation where you think a civil rights lawyer can help you, please contact the Phillips Law Group. We provide free and confidential consultations. After the consultation, there is no obligation to hire us.
How Can Civil Rights Lawyers Help You Obtain Compensation for a Violation of Your Civil Rights?
A violation of your civil rights can result in a variety of injuries. You may suffer physical harm, emotional pain, or even the death of a loved one. A civil rights lawsuit can include your receiving monetary compensation for these injuries.
This compensation can include restitution for the following:
- Medical bills
- Property repairs
- Therapy costs
- Lost past and future income
- Funeral and burial expenses
Compensation can vary significantly depending on the specifics of your civil rights case. A civil rights lawyer can assist you in accurately estimating your total losses. He or she can also help you in evaluating a fair amount for compensation because of emotional suffering and mental anguish.
How Can Hiring a Civil Rights Lawyer Help?
A civil rights lawsuit can be complicated and consume much time. However, the need for a civil rights lawsuit can be minimized. Either way, you need a lawyer to handle your case.
An experienced attorney is best suited to come to a resolution with the at-fault party, perhaps through informal negotiations, mediation, or arbitration.
The options include:
- Informal negotiations – Often, informal negotiations include contracts and written agreements. A lawyer can assist in the creation of these documents so that they are clear, understandable, and legally binding.
- Mediation and arbitration – In the case of mediation and arbitration, a lawyer can help maintain a calm, respectful atmosphere during the negotiations. Additionally, he or she can present an objective, unbiased point of view to help the parties involved reach a reasonable resolution.
- Lawsuit – If despite the parties’ best efforts, a resolution to the civil rights violation cannot be reached, the lawyer who was present for the efforts mentioned above can provide valuable insights and assistance in the civil rights lawsuit that is subsequently pursued.
Most of all, remember that hiring a lawyer means you will have a lot less work on your own hands. What’s more, your chances of a higher settlement grow with every bit of experience your attorney has.
Why Should You Obtain Legal Representation?
Many men and women have fought and died to achieve and protect the equality made available to citizens of the United States. Still, cases of civil rights violations continue to rise in the country.
You deserve justice if your civil rights have been disregarded, ignored, or stepped on. A civil rights lawyer can help protect your civil liberties. An attorney well-versed in civil rights law can provide you with the essential legal assistance you need.
Please get in touch with the personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Group to get the justice you deserve. You can call us at (602) 222-2222 or fill out our online form to speak with one of our attorneys.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️