Bad Weather Driving Tips
- Home /
- Bad Weather Driving Tips
Although most licensed drivers must pass a written exam as well as a road test, many are inexperienced with driving in bad weather. Despite how ever-changing the climate in Arizona may be, some drivers are still unaware of the best way to handle the quick changes.
Bad weather is just one of many causes of motor vehicle accidents throughout the state. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there were more than 103,000 motor vehicle collisions reported in 2012. Collisions most commonly occurred in November and the most common cause was speeding too fast for conditions.
In regards to weather conditions, more than 2,000 collisions were reported when it was raining and an additional 100 when there was hail/sleet. Weather conditions can play a major role in accidents as it can often affect the roadways, how a person handles their vehicle, and even how their vehicle travels on the roadways.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver during bad weather conditions, the victim may be entitled to compensation for property damage, medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form to your right for a no-cost, no-obligation review of your bad weather accident claim.
Tips for Driving in Bad Weather
Knowing how to properly operate a motor vehicle during bad weather can sometimes mean the difference between being involved in an accident and not being involved in one. The Arizona Department of Transportation Drivers License manual even has specifications on how drivers should handle certain weather situations.
The following are a few bad weather driving tips:
- When driving on wet roads and during rainy or snowy conditions be sure to reduce your speed accordingly.
- Increase the distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you, the two-second rule should be the minimum during bad weather conditions.
- Use your signal at all times to notify other motorists when you are turning or changing lanes.
- If it is raining so hard that you are unable to see it, consider pulling over to a safe location until the rain slows.
- Avoid driving near large trucks or busses that can inadvertently create big splashes that hinder your vision.
- Reduce sun glare by wearing sunglasses and using your vehicle’s sun visor.
- Slow down during windy weather as well.
- Do not cross flooded areas, if you choose to and you know it is safe, two vehicles should not cross at the same time as the waves caused by movement.
- During foggy conditions use only low beams as fog can reflect your own headlights into your eyes.
- If you suddenly encounter a dust storm, slow down and pull off the road as carefully as possible.
Vehicle maintenance is very important when it comes to driving in bad weather. Poor tire tread can lead to hydroplaning, faulty headlights can fail to warn drivers of your position, and bad breaks can quickly lead to a collision. Keeping your vehicle well maintained can help keep you and your fellow motorists protected.
Contact our Attorneys Today
Drivers should be prepared to handle all types of events while behind the wheel, including the sudden occurrence of bad weather conditions. If you or a loved one is seeking legal counsel after being involved in an accident caused by a negligent driver, our attorneys are here to help.
The Phoenix personal injury attorneys at Phillip Law Group are well-versed in auto accident claims and can help to guide you and your loved ones through the litigation process. We are committed to helping accident injury victims fight for their right to fair and just compensation.
We have several offices located through Arizona and are pleased to serve clients in the following areas:
and many more local towns and cities. Do not hesitate to call 1-800-706-3000 to schedule your free, no-obligation initial case consultation. Our attorneys believe that everyone should have access to legal counsel which is why we work on a contingency basis which means we do not get paid unless we recover compensation for you.
If you would prefer to contact us online, fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form at the top right-hand corner of this page it is completely confidential.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️