Mesa, AZ Birth Injury Lawyers | Phillips Law Group
Birth injuries can have consequences that last a lifetime. In many instances, the injuries sustained during birth can result in the victim needing full time care and life long physical therapy, which can have a significant impact on the quality of life of the child, the parents and other family members. If the birth injury was the result of negligence by a Doctor or healthcare provider, the family may be eligible to recover financial compensation.
At Phillips Law Group, our Mesa birth injury lawyers understand the challenges that families can face following a birth injury, including the financial stress caused by the costs of providing services that birth injury victims require.
To learn more about your legal options, speak to a birth injury attorney from our law firm today. Your initial consultation is free and there are no upfront fees if we take on your case.
Free consultation. Ph: 1-800-706-3000 .
What Is the Definition of a Birth Injury?
A birth injury is an injury that is sustained by a child during the labor and delivery action. Birth injuries can be caused in a short period of time – for example, children can suffer a serious brain injury in approximately 6 minutes.
It’s important to note that a birth injury is different that a birth defect – where a birth defect occurs during the development of the baby in the womb of the mother.
What Can Cause A Birth Injury?
During the child birthing process, there can be many factors that are involved. However, birth injuries are often the result of a lack of oxygen to the baby, or as a result of physical trauma. For example – a condition like cerebral palsy is the result of oxygen deprivation.
Some medically-related causes of birth injuries may include:
- Incorrect use of forceps – forceps are commonly used when the baby is improperly positioned when in the womb. A physician may use forceps to reposition the baby however, unless the Physician is very careful, the tool can cause nerve damage and other injuries.
- Incorrect use of a vacuum extractor – these devices have a cup-shaped extension that fits onto the skull of the baby and may be used in the event that a mother is having difficulty pushing the baby through the birth canal. A vacuum extractor may be used to help assist the process. However, if not correctly used, the baby can suffer serious head injuries. For example – if suction cannot be placed on the correct location on the head of the baby, a head injury may occur.
- Administering medication to the mother before and/or during child birth – certain medications may not be safe for the mother to consume during pregnancy.
- Not performing a C-section when required – while there can be many different reasons for not performing a C-section during delivery, the Physician and medical staff must act quickly to determine when this is required. Often, when a delivery team fails to perform an immediate, necessary C-section, they may be held liable for their lack of action.
- Not monitoring the baby closely enough to identify signs of distress – this may result in the baby not receiving enough oxygen during child birth or other injuries, which can be the result of a tangled umbilical cord, and perhaps, damage to the placenta.
- Not treating infections quickly – certain infections can have serious implications on an unborn child. Failure to treat these infections can result in the baby having physical and mental conditions.
If you believe your child has become the victim of a birth injury, we encourage you to call us today. Birth injury cases can be complex as there are many factors that arise during child birth. Our birth injury attorneys can help to review the details of your specific incident and determine if you have grounds to pursue a damages claim.
Contact us today by calling 1-800-706-3000 .
Conditions That Are Associated with Birth Injuries
Many birth injuries are preventable and can range from mild to severe. Birth injuries including Erb’s Palsy (nerve damage in the upper arm), Klumpke’s palsy (damage to nerves in the lower arm) and brachial plexus injuries (damage to nerves in the spinal cord) are commonly caused by medical staff that are twisting or pulling on the head of the child while in the delivery process.
Other types of preventable birth injuries can include:
- Untreated jaundice
- Breathing problems (meconium aspiration)
- Internal bleeding
- Clavicle fractures
- Excessive bleeding
While some conditions can be treated and may improve over time, many others can be life-long injuries that significantly impact the quality of life of the victim.
How Can A Lawyer Help?
Having an experienced legal team on your side can help relieve some of the stress on parents and family members, with the knowledge that negligent parties may be held accountable for their actions. Injury cases that are handled by a lawyer also tend to produce larger amounts of financial compensation compared to those that are not handled by a lawyer.
Have a question? Call 1-800-706-3000 .
At Phillips Law Group, we have a team of legal professionals that investigate each element of your claim including medical records, using industry experts to analyze diagnostic tests, electronic fetal monitoring strips, notes taken by medical staff during the pregnancy and delivery, examining the tools used during the birth and more.
We can also provide a barrier between your family and the insurance company that will likely be representing the Physician and/or medical facility where the event took place.
With more than $1 billion collectively recovered by Phillips Law Group on behalf of our clients, we have the experience to handle your case and charge no upfront fees if you decide to hire us.
What is Birth Injury My Case Worth?
Due to the complex nature of birth injury cases – and as every case is unique – it can be difficult to determine the exact value of your case. However, our attorneys welcome the opportunity to answer any questions that you may have regarding your potential birth injury lawsuit, and we can review the details of your claim at no cost to you.
Is There A Time Limit to File My Claim?
The Statute of Limitations for personal injury cases in the State of Arizona is two years from the date of the injury. However, there can be certain circumstances that shorten – or extend – this deadline. If you are unsure if you still have time to file, call us today.
Contact A Mesa Birth Injury Attorney Today
Knowing who to contact after your child has suffered a birth injury can be a very difficult process. At Phillips Law Group, we have been helping families and injury victims since 1993 – having represented over 155,000 consumer clients in that time.
Our award winning, founding partner Jeffrey Phillips is a member of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association and has served as the lead chair in over 40 trials – obtaining verdicts in Maricopa, Gila, Mohave, Pima, Pinal, Navajo and Yavapai counties in Arizona.
We welcome the opportunity to review the details of your birth injury claim and offer a free evaluation to help determine if you have a case. Should you have a case and decide to select our law firm to represent you, there are no upfront fees and we only get paid when we obtain a recovery on your behalf.
Call our team today for your free consultation. Ph: 1-800-706-3000 .
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️