Flagstaff Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers| Phillips Law Group
Making the decision to place an older family member in a nursing home is tough. It requires placing your trust in the nursing home facility and its employees. If your loved one has become the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, you may feel angry, overwhelmed and have a lot of unanswered questions.
Our Flagstaff nursing home abuse lawyers at Phillips Law Group have decades of experience representing victims of nursing home abuse and have a proven history of verdicts and settlements totaling more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients. We are committed to helping you find the answers you need and holding negligent facilities responsible for their actions.
Contact us to schedule a free, confidential consultation to discuss your potential claim. If we represent you, there are absolutely no upfront fees. Since we accept these cases on contingency, you pay us no money unless we win compensation on your behalf.
Call our legal team today for your consultation. Ph: 1-800-706-3000 .
Who May Be Liable for Negligence?
When it comes to nursing home abuse, there can be many parties who may be held liable for the resulting harm of a resident in their care:
- Facility owners ”“ which could be one or more companies, families, or an individual
- Staff employees ”“ such as physicians, nursing assistants, nurses, dieticians, nutritionists
- Miscellaneous third-parties ”“ this might include medical suppliers or other contractors
Nursing home facilities in the state of Arizona are required by law to maintain a reasonable standard of care, and it is the duty of that facility to extend that duty of care to each of their residents. At a minimum, there is an expectation that the nursing home will provide:
- Proper nutrition
- Appropriate medical care
- Social interaction
- Help in maintaining personal hygiene
- A clean environment where the resident is reasonably safe from harm
If the facility responsible for your loved one’s care fails to meet these standards, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for any harm he or she has suffered.
Call our firm at 1-800-706-3000 today to learn about your legal options.
Why Does Nursing Home Abuse Happen?
There are many different reasons why nursing home abuse happens through negligent actions or inactions, including the following:
- Insufficient training of staff
- Lack of staff experience
- Flawed hiring process
- Inefficient security
- Inadequate monitoring of staff
To pursue a claim for damages, you must be able to prove that it was an act of negligence that caused the harm to a resident, resulting in his or her injury.
These types of cases can be challenging because often a resident is unable or afraid to speak up, making it possible for the abuse to continue. Additionally, if the resident’s family does not live nearby, it may be difficult for them to detect or report signs of abuse or neglect.
The Flagstaff nursing home attorneys at our firm have nearly three decades of experience building strong personal injury cases. We are prepared to help you get the justice your loved one needs.
Call us now at 1-800-706-3000 for a free and confidential consultation.
Do I Qualify to File a Claim?
Every case is different and complex, so one of our qualified attorneys will need to review the specifics of your situation to accurately answer this question. However, there are certain rights in place to protect nursing home residents. These rights include, but are not limited to:
- Privacy ”“ to protect the privacy of a resident’s physical person, as well as his or her belongings
- Information ”“ the right to have all facility fees and services fully explained
- Health services ”“ the right to expect appropriate medical care when needed
- Financial ”“ the right for a resident to fully manage his or her money without being pressured to give up control
- Respect ”“ the right to be treated with dignity, regardless of age, mental health, or physical state
If you suspect your loved one’s rights have been violated in a nursing home facility, you may be able to file a damages claim. To see whether you may have a case, contact our legal team at Phillips Law Group.
Forms of Nursing Home Resident Abuse
Resident abuse can happen in many different ways. The harm or injury can be physical, financial or even emotional. It is challenging to know when this is happening if your loved one is afraid or embarrassed to talk about it, but there are certain signs to look out for. Some of these could include:
Signs of Elderly Neglect
- Dehydration ”“ look for excessively dry skin, being uncommonly thirsty, and canker sores
- Malnutrition ”“ may be seen in a sudden and unexplained loss of weight
- Bedsores ”“ these are red or discolored blisters, also called pressure sores
- Medication errors ”“ may result in excessive sleeping, hallucinations, declining health, seizures
Signs of Physical Abuse
- Skin tears
- Unexplained bruising
- Multiple fractures or sprains
- Head injuries or facial cuts
- Unusual or recurring infections
Signs of Financial Abuse or Fraud
- Sudden and unexplained large bank withdrawals
- ATM withdrawals happening at odd times, such as when your loved one is sleeping
- Missing cash or other personal items
Signs of Emotional Abuse
- Unusual behavior, like depression or emotional withdrawal
- Sudden weight loss
- Refusing to eat or lack of appetite
Signs of Sexual Abuse
- Panic attacks that are out of character
- Atypical agitation
- Depression or suicidal thoughts
- Pelvic injuries
- Unusual discomfort while walking or sitting
- Unexplained, recurring urinary tract infections
Our attorneys at Phillips Law Group believe that every resident should feel safe, happy and well-cared for in a nursing home. If you suspect your loved one has suffered some type of abuse or neglect, we want to help. Contact a Flagstaff nursing home lawyer today to get a 100 percent free review of your claim.
We are available to take your call 24 hours a day. Call 1-800-706-3000
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse
Certain national and state laws, like Arizona A.R.S Â§ 46-454, requires certain professionals, including doctors, nurses and other medical staff or health care employees to immediately report any reasonable suspicions of abuse or neglect to adult protective services. If you have concerns and they have not been reported, you may contact Arizona’s adult protective services as well as the local authorities.
Additional steps you can take to help build evidence for a potential claim include:
- Keeping an accurate journal, including the date, of any unusual injuries or behavior you see
- Taking photos of any physical harm, like bruises or sores, and write down important details
- Making a note of conversations you have had with care staff, along with the date
- Calling an experienced nursing home attorney to review your potential claim
A filing deadline, or statute of limitations, exists in Arizona and may apply to your potential claim, so it is important that you do not delay in taking steps to act now on behalf of your loved one.
Fill out ourFree Case Evaluationform to get started.
Contact Our Flagstaff Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Our legal team at Phillips Law Group are fully committed to protecting the legal rights of the clients we represent. We understand the difficulties nursing home abuse victims and their families often face when pursuing legal action to hold facilities and its employees accountable for acts of negligence.
Should you have a case and decide to move forward, our attorneys will tirelessly investigate, gather evidence, speak to witnesses and do all we can to build a strong case on behalf of your loved one. There is no financial risk to you because we take nursing home abuse cases on contingency. We do not charge any upfront fees and do not get paid unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for you.
Call Phillips Law Group now to get started: 1-800-706-3000 .
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️