Fatigued Driver Accident Claims
- Home /
- Fatigued Driver Accident Claims
The National Sleep Foundation Conducted a poll in 2009 and found that 1.9 million drivers have been involved in an accident or near-collision due to driver fatigue. Additionally, over 50 percent of drivers reported driving while sleepy at least once and 28 percent admitted to operating a vehicle while drowsy at least once a month.
According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, over 1,200 vehicle accidents were caused by drivers that fell asleep behind the wheel or were fatigued in 2011. If you or a loved one was injured in a motor vehicle accident due to a fatigued driver, you may be eligible for legal and financial recourse.
For more information about drowsy driving accidents, fill out the Free Case Review form on this page.
Risks of Fatigued Driving
Many drivers do not realize that drowsy driving is very dangerous; driving while fatigued can have serious and fatal consequences. Taking your focus off of the road for a few seconds can result in a vehicle crash.
Studies have shown that being awake for 20 hours is equivalent to have a blood alcohol concentration of .08, the legal limit in the United States. Similar to intoxicated motorists, fatigued drivers have decreased awareness and a slow reaction time.
Signs of Driver Fatigue
You may be fatigued, if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- awning repeatedly
- Blinking frequently
- Heavy eyelids
- Having trouble staying in your lane
- Youre having trouble keeping your head up
- Youre unable to recall the last few miles
If you are driving and are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should pull over to a safe place and rest.
Drivers can take preventive measures to avoid fatigued driving accidents. Arizona motorists should follow the tips below to ensure that they arrive safely at their destination:
- Get a good nights rest before traveling. Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep to be alert.
- If youre going to be traveling for a long time, its best to take another passenger along. The passenger can help drive when you become fatigued.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking any medications that will make you sleepy while driving.
- If youre feeling tired, pull over to a safe location to take a quick nap. A power nap can help you feel refreshed, so youll be ready get on the highway again.
- Arizona drivers should stop every two hours or 100 miles to stretch. Taking frequent breaks can prevent driver fatigue.
- When taking a road trip, you should pack a cooler with caffeinated drinks. Its imperative for motorists to know that caffeine does replace a good nights rest.
- You should always allow plenty of time to reach your location safely.
Contact an Arizona Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 56,000 sleep-related collisions occur each year. Sleep-related crashes cause 40,000 injuries and 1,550 fatalities annually.
If you or a family member has been injured in drowsy driving accident at no fault of your own, you may have grounds for legal action. Contact a Phoenix auto accident attorney to explore your legal options.
The injury attorneys based in Phoenix, AZ at the Phillips Law Group have the knowledge and resources to handle fatigued driving crashes. The law firm offers free case evaluations to accident victims.
To schedule a no obligation legal consultation, complete the contact form on this page.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️