How Do I Get Compensation If I Was Bit By A Dog?
Injuries from dog bites can cause severe injuries that require medical attention. Over 800,000 people in the United States require medical attention for dog bite injuries each year. While you cannot hold the dog itself responsible for the attack, a personal injury lawyer can help you recover financial compensation from the animal’s owner.
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, be sure to protect your legal rights by speaking to a dog bite attorney sooner rather than later. At Phillips Law Group, we have over 40 years of experience protecting injured clients’ rights to fair compensation. Our personal injury lawyers are here to help you recover the money you deserve. It’s all a matter of coming to us before time runs out.
Schedule a free, no-obligation case review with a member of our legal team today. Call us 24/7 at 602-222-2222 or complete the free case evaluation form.
Steps to Take After Being Bitten by a Dog
Nothing can fully prepare you for the trauma of being attacked by an aggressive dog. However, knowing what steps to take in the minutes, hours, and days following a dog bite can not only be beneficial to your health but also help you recover compensation for your injury.
Consider taking the following actions following a dog attack:
- Try to remain calm: Do not try to catch the canine, especially if it is a dog you do not know.
- Gather information: Take photos of the dog and your injuries and exchange contact information with the dog’s owner and any eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical treatment: It is important to seek medical attention even if the wound does not seem severe. Dog bites can easily become infected because of the bacteria in a dog’s mouth. A more severe attack may require stitches, antibiotics, or even surgery.
- Call animal control: If you were bitten by a dog you are unfamiliar with, you should call animal control so that they can catch the animal and determine whether it has rabies.
- File a report: Call law enforcement so that they can make sure the dog is caught and does not cause harm to others.
- Exchange insurance information with the dog’s owner: Many homeowner’s insurance policies cover the cost of medical treatment and other losses that result from a dog bite attack.
- Follow the doctor’s treatment orders: Adhere to any medical direction your doctor gives you to treat your wounds. Return to the doctor if you are suffering from an infection, nerve damage, or any other issues.
- Contact a lawyer: You may need legal assistance to recover compensation after suffering a dog bite injury. An experienced dog bite lawyer can investigate your case and help you file a claim or lawsuit.
Consider How Local Law Applies
If a dog bites you in Arizona, the owner of the dog can be held strictly liable. This means that the pet’s owner is legally liable for damages even with no prior history of the dog attacking other people or animals.
If a person owns the dog and that dog bit you, you can file a claim against that person. Whether the dog bit you on public property or on a privately owned residence, the dog’s owner will typically be held responsible. However, there are some exceptions to this. For example, if you were trespassing, teasing, or intentionally provoking the dog, the owner will probably not be liable for the damages you suffered.
While Arizona’s strict liability law makes it easier for dog bite victims to obtain compensation, fighting for a fair amount often requires the help of a personal injury lawyer. An attorney can negotiate with insurance companies who are undervaluing your losses and ensure that you receive maximum compensation.
Determine the Value of Your Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bite injuries can be more extensive than the bite wound itself. When a dog attacks it may knock the person down, causing broken bones or other injuries. In other situations, a bite injury could become infected, forcing the victim to undergo painful treatments.
Our attorneys help dog bite victims who have suffered various injuries including:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue damage
- Broken bones
- Back and neck injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Eye injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Trauma and other psychological effects
- Wrongful death damages including funeral costs
The compassionate legal team at Phillips Law Group understands how physically and emotionally traumatic a dog bite attack can be, but you do not have to go through this difficult time alone. Contact us today to schedule a free case review to learn more about your options for compensation.
Hire a Lawyer to Get Compensation for Your Dog Bite
When you or someone you love has been harmed, the last thing you want to worry about is a legal battle. Unfortunately, the owner of the dog may not agree to file a claim with his or her homeowner’s insurance company. The person may even try to make the incident out to be your fault to avoid paying the claim.
A dog bite attorney can protect your legal rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. A lawyer who is familiar with dog bite law can be the key to helping you move forward with your life after the animal attack.
While building a solid dog bite claim on your behalf, your attorney may:
- Investigate whether the dog has a previous history of aggression
- Speak to eyewitnesses of the incident
- Talk to anyone who can testify to the animal’s previous behavior
- Identify all liable parties, which could include the dog’s owner, a pet sitter, a property owner, or others
- Consult with medical professionals and other experts to determine the value of your claim
- Negotiate with the insurance company to obtain fair compensation for your injuries
If you are unsure how to recover compensation following a dog bite attack, a personal injury lawyer can help. An attorney will review your case, answer any questions you may have, and explain your legal options.
Types of Damages That Could Be Available
The owner of the dog that attacked you can be strictly liable for damages, regardless of whether the animal had viciously attacked anyone in the past. If the dog owner was negligent or has a history of aggression, you could receive additional compensation.
Compensation could help cover:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death, and more
Get Legal Assistance Without Paying Out of Pocket
Do not let an insurance company arbitrarily decide what your case is worth. At Phillips Law Group, our goal is to maximize the settlement or verdict you secure. We will use our knowledge and resources to understand your injuries and the impact they will have on your life. Our legal team will demand compensation for your past, present, and future damages.
Having an experienced lawyer on your side can increase your chances of recovering fair compensation. Over the years, we have helped our clients recover over $1 billion in compensation.
Phillips Law Group takes dog bite cases on contingency. This means you pay no upfront costs or fees, so there’s nothing to lose except time itself. Act now to avoid missing the statute of limitations deadline on your case.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation. Call us 24/7 at 602-222-2222 or complete the free case evaluation form.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️