September is National Brain Injury Awareness Month
September 18, 2018
More than 2.8 million traumatic brain injuries occurred in the U.S. in 2013, according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). September is National Traumatic Brain Injury Awareness Month, a time when it is especially important to consider these injuries and learn more about how to prevent them. Every year, about 53,000 people die from brain injuries. The following information may help decrease some of these tragic deaths.
The qualified Phoenix brain injury attorneys at Phillips Law Group have prepared the following information below. If you sustained a traumatic brain injury after an accident, contact our competent legal team to schedule a free, no obligation consultation to review your situation.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a serious brain injury that disrupts normal brain function. It is typically caused by an external force or trauma, such as a jolt to the head after an accident. It affects communication between neurons and nerve tracts which impairs their ability to send messages to the brain. TBIs range from mild to severe and the effects can be temporary or permanent. Some result in short-term or long-term disability.
According to the CDC, the leading causes of TBI are:
- Being struck by an object
- Motor vehicle accidents
Symptoms of TBIs
Symptoms for TBIs can vary depending on the severity of the injury. They can include physical and psychological effects.
A mild TBI may be accompanied with the following symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness for a couple of seconds to a few minutes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feelings of being dazed or confused
- Problems sleeping
- Loss of balance
These TBIs may include additional symptoms like:
- Speech problems
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Ringing in the ears
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Being unable to smell
- Problems concentrating
- Feelings of depression
- Mood swings or changes in behavior
- Loss of consciousness for several minutes
Symptoms of severe TBIs include:
- Loss of consciousness for several hours
- Persistent headache
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Draining of clear fluids
- Loss of coordination
- Feelings of profound confusion
- Agitation or combativeness
- Slurred speech
Complications After a TBI
TBIs can cause many severe complications. The following complications may emerge immediately after a TBI or days or weeks after:
- Coma ”“ A person with a TBI may become temporarily unconscious or permanently unconscious.
- Brain death ”“ In severe cases of a TBI, there may be no measurable activity in the brain. This is an irreversible condition that ultimately leads to physical death.
- Seizures ”“ Seizures may occur immediately after the injury or even years after it.
- Fluid buildup ”“ Increased fluid in the brain can lead to pressure and swelling in the brain.
- Damage to blood vessels ”“ Blood vessel damage can result in a stroke or blood clots.
- Vertigo ”“ Many TBI victims suffer from severe dizziness.
- Infections ”“ Bacteria may enter the brain, resulting in an infection that spreads to the nervous system.
Since a TBI cannot be completely cured, it is important that you take all possible steps to prevent a TBI from occurring in the first place. Some ways to reduce your risk of suffering a TBI include:
- Wearing a seat belt in a motor vehicle
- Not driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Wearing a helmet when riding on a motorcycle or bicycle
- Wearing a helmet when participating in contact sports and while skiing, skating, horseback riding and skateboarding
- Providing adequate lighting around stairs and entryways
- Removing fall hazards
Contact a Knowledgeable Attorney Today
If you suffered a traumatic brain injury, it is important that you contact an experienced Phoenix personal injury attorney from Phillips Law Group for assistance. We can discuss options available to you and can investigate the potential causes that led to your injury. TBIs are very expensive to treat, so it is very important that you receive maximum compensation for the injuries you sustained.
Contact us today to schedule a free, no obligation legal consultation. We charge no upfront fees and you only pay us if you recover compensation for your claim.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️