Monsoon Driving Tips
Arizona monsoon storms can range anywhere from a minor dust storm to a violent thunderstorm. Monsoon season in Arizona generally runs from June 15th to September 30th. The high temperatures in conjunction with high winds and high moisture around this time of year can result in potentially deadly weather.
A monsoon usually starts with heavy winds and the occasional visible wall of dust.A typical Arizona monsoon is known to be accompanied by frequent thunder, lightning and heavy downpours. Flash floods are not uncommon. While Arizona monsoons do not provide ideal driving conditions, with the following tips and precautions, Arizona drivers are more likely to avoid a car accident.
Be Aware Of Local Weather Conditions
An Arizona monsoon is not as easy to predict as other weather events, but certain conditions are more conducive to producing a monsoon. Before going on the road during monsoon season, it is important to listen to weather reports – the National Weather Service issues weather warnings and watches through television and radio stations.
It is also important to keep an emergency kit in your car at all times in the event that you get caught in a monsoon. An emergency kit should include water, non-perishable food, blankets and flashlights with extra batteries.
Important Arizona Monsoon Driving Tips & Information
If you are caught in your car when an Arizona monsoon strikes, the following tips will help to minimize your risk of being involved in an auto accident:
If possible, pull off the road and find a safe place to park to wait out the storm. Keep the doors and windows of your vehicle closed. Make sure to turn off your lights so that you do not confuse other drivers.
- Do not park your vehicle under a tree or utility pole. High winds can break branches, up-root trees and knock down poles.
- If electrical lines do fall on your car, do not exit your vehicle until emergency crews give you the OK.
- If you must continue driving, avoid flooded roadways or washes. They may be deceiving and actually be much deeper than they appear. Many Arizona drivers end up getting stuck in flooded washes in roadways and require emergency rescuers.
- Drive at a reduced speed, leaving plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you. Drive even slower through standing water. The smallest amount of water on the road can cause you to hydroplane and lose control of your car.
- Obey all caution signs.
- Exercise extra caution when driving through a monsoon at night. It may be difficult to detect flooded areas in the dark.Generally speaking, having a heightened sense of awareness during a severe storm is imperative. Often other drivers cannot see very well during such storms, and with that in mind, keeping a defensive driving attitude can help to avoid a serious crash.
Monsoon Car Crash? Contact Our Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident that was due to another motorists negligence – or resulting from an Arizona monsoon, the car accident lawyers at Phillips Law Group are here to help.
We provide comprehensive legal counsel to injury victims throughout Arizona – including (but not limited to):
- Lake Havasu City
…. just to name a few.
To find out how we can help you, please contact us on 1-800-706-3000 and a member from our intake team will collect some information about your incident and then refer you to one of our lawyers.
Alternatively, for immediate assistance, simply fill out the “Free Case Review” on this page!
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️