Most Will Experience At Least One Medical Error
- Home /
- Most Will Experience At Least One Medical Error
A recent report by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine reveals the majority of Americans will experience a minimum of one diagnostic error during their lifetime. These diagnostic errors include such things as delayed or inaccurate diagnoses, improperly prescribed medications, and even unnecessary or botched surgeries.
The consequences of a medical error on a patients mental and physical health can be severe.
Until now, diagnostic errors have not garnered much attention, according to Victor Dzau, president of the National Academy of Medicine. This newly released report serves as a wake-up call to improve how diagnoses are made.
Diagnoses are often team efforts that extend from physicians, to medical technicians, to nursing staff. Errors in diagnosing are not new, but this report brings to light the importance of understanding and minimizing such errors.
Several causes of diagnostic errors include:
- A culture that does not encourage honesty about diagnostic errors when they occur.
- An improper amount of feedback for physicians regarding how accurate diagnoses are.
- Lack of communication between patients, their families, and doctors.
Health care, as an industry, is becoming more complicated, and therefore diagnostic errors are on the rise. However, experts recommend several ways to overcome the challenges of diagnostic errors and to help lessen the chance of a medical error occurring. These expert recommendations include:
- Reforming the medical liability system to foster honesty and to reveal diagnostic errors when they occur.
- Encouraging patients and family members to get involved in the diagnosis procedure.
- Physicians and health organizations providing patients with information regarding their diagnosis.
- Improving electronic health records to include test results and doctors notes.
- Fostering an environment conducive to patient feedback and/or questions about potential errors.
- Creating systems within healthcare organizations to help distinguish diagnostic errors.
If you have suffered because of a diagnostic error, contact one of the skilled medical malpractice lawyers at Phillips Law Group today.
Jasmine helped me so so much I want to thank her ! And also Aaron , i was always scared after an accident , knowing I would have to deal with lawyers but not here . Luckily I’ve only been in 3 accidents but this time it was fast and easy . And i received all the treatments I needed to help me recover ! Thank you Jasmine and Aaron!
Sophia H is a pleasure to work with! Thanks for all you do.
Jasmine , did a great job . Highly recommend!!!!!
Liz was great
Liz Gonzales was great!!!!
Thank you Phillips Law Group for all the support and back to school assistance we appreciate it.
Sophia H is very helpful.
Jasmine Delgado is an amazing paralegal. She was patient, kind and extremely knowledgeable. Highly recommend Phillips law group
PLG is the best! Highly recommend. Love that they do so much to help the community.
Phillips is the best!! Love all that they do to give back to the community and how much they help those who are experiencing homelessness. ❤️